Project Highlight: SR86 – Valacia to Kinney – FLO2D Hydrol
Pima County, AZ
Michael Baker, Jr.
- Proposed state highway project predicted high discharges and associated costly cross-drainage improvements.
- The hydrology did not reflect storage associated with broad shallow sheet flow in the upstream watershed.
- Revised modeling was needed to more accurately reflect watershed conditions.
- Develop models using more detailed information on the upstream watershed.
- Model with FLO-2D to account for volume conservation.
- Extract discharge information at cross-drainage locations using the Floodplain Cross-Section tool in FLO-2D.
- More informed models were developed.
- Detailed models using FLO-2D were prepared.
- Provided the client with cross-drainage locations.