- Drainage needed to be designed for roadway segment within broad shallow sheet flow area.
- Modeling required a unique approach that reflected floodplain storage.
- Cross-drainage design was needed for sheet flow conditions.
- FLO-2D modeling for hydrology and hydraulics.
- Model flow across roadway segments between proposed cross-drainage locations.
- Size cross-drainage based on discharges between crossing points.
- Both peak flow rates and flow depths were modeled.
- Discharges along roadway segments between cross-drainage locations was modeled.
- Rating curves for culverts were developed using HY-8 based on total discharge between culverts and next upstream crossing.
Project Highlight: Valencia Road – Mark Road to Ajo Highway
Pima County, AZ
HDR, Pima County Department of Transportation